As featured in blog post #1: The Mighty Maple.
Kale Salad with Maple-Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, grated (I use my Microplane and it works splendidly)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (use the same grater as above #LAZY)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Whisk together all ingredients but the canola oil. Once well blended, slowly whisk in the canola oil. Season to taste and store in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Be sure to mix dressing well before using (Dijon is actually an emulsifier so the dressing wont separate as much as other vinaigrettes, especially if it was whisked together slowly. I know. Science is cool.)
Yields about 3/4 cup of dressing.
- kale or baby kale (spinach also works well)
- red onion, diced
- dates, pitted and quarted
- sunflower seeds (I prefer roasted and salted for more crunch)
- blue cheese (go for the whole block and crumble at home for bigger, creamier pieces)
- maple-orange-balsamic vinaigrette (see above… like… obvi)
Okay so honestly I didn’t put amounts because we are all adults here and can build a salad (also, #LAZY). Throw a handful or two of kale down, sprinkle on as much onion as you would like and repeat with dates, sunflower seeds, and blue cheese. Dress immediately before serving and Bon App.
Vegan Bonus Version
- remove the blue cheese. Ta-da!
Want to print this for all your besties? Of course you do! Click the link for an easy to print one-page pdf file: Kale Salad with Maple-Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe