As featured in blog post #1: The Mighty Maple.
I whipped up this recipe for my Mighty Maple blog post when I spotted an unopened jar of tahini in my mother’s pantry. A jar of something that delicious begs to be opened, and so this oatmeal was born. I have to give most of the inspirational credit to a dear friend at Pita Cabana Grill in downtown State College, PA. He serves a Lebanese style rice pudding that bears some resemblance to my breakfast treat. And so thank you, Hitham, for your delicious flavors. *Insert shameless plug for PITA CABANA GRILL here. Visit them, get some falafel, like them on The Facebook, etc.
Back to the Maple…
Toasted Coconut Oatmeal with Tahini and Maple Syrup
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup oats
- 2 teaspoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Mix the milk, coconut, and salt in a small saucepan while setting aside 1 tablespoon of coconut flakes for garnish. Bring the milk to a boil (WATCH IT, it foams #learneditthehardway) and add the oats. Reduce the heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon in the tahini and maple syrup and stir until combined. Add more maple syrup if needed (#sugarjunkies #onemorespoonfulwonthurt). Remove from heat, spoon into a serving bowl, and sprinkle with reserved coconut and toasted sesame seeds. Garnish with a splash of maple syrup and voila! Bon App.
Yields one serving.
Foodie Bonus Version
- use 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup milk
- add 1/2 teaspoon rosewater to finished oatmeal
- add a dash of ground cardamom to finished oatmeal
- if using steel cut oats increase the liquid amount to 3:1 (that would be 1 1/2 cups milk to 1/2 cup oatmeal)
Vegan Bonus Version
- use 1/2 cup coconut milk and 1/2 cup almond milk (or water)
Want to print this for all your besties? Of course you do! Click the link for an easy to print one-page pdf file: Toasted Coconut Oatmeal with Tahini and Maple Syrup Recipe