As featured in blog post #2: The Power of Peanut Butter.
This dish was designed as a “Help I can’t find gyoza wrappers!” adaptation of Chicken Satay Pot-Stickers with Curry Dipping Sauces. Within about 3 minutes it took on a life of it’s own. If the mini meatballs are STILL too tedious then follow the “Lazy-Man Version” below. And as always, enjoy!
Chicken Satay Chow Fun
Mini chicken meatballs:
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1-1″ piece of ginger root, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 pound of skinless boneless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
Blend garlic, ginger, turmeric, lime zest, and scallions in food processor for 30-60 seconds or until all ingredients are finely chopped. Scrape down the sides (with the processor OFF….) and add coconut and chicken. Puree 30-60 seconds or until well mixed. Add egg and pulse, then add panko crumbs and pulse until combined. Scoop chicken mixture into a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Roll the meat mixture into small meatballs, about the size of playing dice.
- 9 oz. wide rice noodles
- 1 carrot, peeled and Julienned
- 1/2 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup scallions, diced, to serve
- 1/4 cup peanuts, chopped, to serve
Cook the rice noodles according to package instructions and chill under running water. Set aside. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add mini-meatballs and roll in oil for a few minutes until brown. Add carrots and red bell peppers and cook for one minute. Mix coconut milk, water, peanut butter, lime juice, hoisin sauce, and garam masala and add to pan. Cook until steaming, then add rice noodles. Toss to coat and allow sauce to thicken (add water if you reduce it too much). Serve immediately and top with scallions and peanuts.
Lazy man version:
- Instead of making meatballs, cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces
- Add chicken pieces to the peanut oil in place of meatballs and cook for about two minutes
- Then add in the garlic, ginger, scallions, and turmeric from the meatball ingredients and cook another minute
- Add lime zest and soy sauce with the coconut milk/PB mixture and continue as instructed in regular recipe
Bonus vegetarian version:
- Follow the lazy man version but replace chicken with your-favorite-vegetarian-chicken substitute.
Bonus vegan version:
- Follow the lazy man version but replace chicken with your-favorite-vegan-chicken substitute.
Want to print this for all your besties? Of course you do! Click the link for an easy to print two-page pdf file: Chicken Satay Chow Fun